I have great interest in becoming an Osteopathic Physician. The interest to pursue a career as an Osteopathic Physician developed as a result of a previous encounter with an Osteopathic Physician who impacted on patients lives positively including my own. I had suffered serious injuries from a car accident which took several months to heal. In fact the injuries only healed after I was attended to by this physician. I realized that physicians treat the whole body of a patient other than just treating the symptoms that a patient exhibit (Mercola.com). The Osteopathic Physicians help in fighting disease and prevent them as well through ensuring that patients adopt health lifestyles (Youtube.com).
In addition to impacting positively on patients lives, a career as an Osteopathic Physician is extremely rewarding. Fully qualified physicians get an average monthly pay about $110,000 (Thinkquest). In addition to these, there are numerous career opportunities for the Osteopathic Physicians since many people are taken into the approach these physician employ toward sickness (American Osteopathic Association).
To help me achieve my ambition I have chosen West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. I feel that the school will provide an enabling environment, materials, and facilities that a student Osteopathic Physician requires to achieve his or her dream (American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine). The campus is high-tech and provides students with latest technology as well as advanced tool for teaching medicine (West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine). The large number of Osteopathic Physicians that the school has trained before is a clear indication of how it is dedicated to providing outstanding education to Osteopathic physicians (Citytowninfo.com). Indeed, the school has managed to create it self a reputation as the baste school for Osteopathic Medicine having been ranked “Top graduate School” by the U.S. News & World Report magazine yearly issues since 1998 (U.S.News and World Report).
As a hard working student who is working ambitiously to become an Osteopathic Physician, I believe that I deserve to learn in the best institution together with fellow high achievers. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is the only place that can provide a home and nature me into what I want. I will therefore be very grateful if given an opportunity to join this year’s class.
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. “Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, 2011West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM).” Web. September 2, 2010 < http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-wvsom.pdf>
- American Osteopathic Association. What is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)? 2010. Web. September 2, 2010 < http://www.askdrwalker.com/index/What_is_a_doctor_of_osteopathic_.htm >
- Citytowninfo.com. “West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine.” 2010. Web. September 2, 2010 < http://www.citytowninfo.com/school-profiles/west-virginia-school-of-osteopathic-medicine >
- Mercola.com. “What is a D.O.?” 2010. Web. September 2 2010 <http://www.mercola.com/forms/do.htm>
- Thinkquest. “Health Career Information” Web. September 2 2010 <http://library.thinkquest.org/15569/car1bmd4.html >
- U.S.News and World Report. “Best Graduate Schools.” September 2 2010. Web. September 2, 2010 < http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/items/04145 >
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. “West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine.” Web. September 2, 2010 <http://www.wvsom.edu/>
- Youtube.com. “What is an osteopathic physician (DO)?” June 27 2007. Web. September 2 2010 < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMma0i6fXN0 >