Mind Mapping: A Way to Enjoy the Essay Writing Process
Jul 13, 2018
The constant flow of information may be hard to manage. Mind mapping can be useful to make this activity easy.
Mind mapping is an effective method to present the available information on any topic in various forms. These forms include but are not limited to outlining data in lines, symbols, images, and diagrams manually or with the help of technology.
The notion of a mind map may be described as an interpretation of the material in a visual diagram that is applied to organize data and facilitate the process of its analysis. A mind map may be used by writers to structure data and find connections between pieces of information. This is the way to create new ideas and present a unique content.
Additionally, mind mapping may be applied to draw an outline. For example, instead of writing in full sentences, a writer can outline a book in a diagram. Colors and images may be added to distinguish various parts of a book, or any other source of information. Mind mapping is also especially useful as a part of essay brainstorming.
Mapping may be done differently. Variations depend on the structure of data that needs to be organized, purpose of writing, and personal preferences. The main types are as follows:
- Cyclical map.It is used to work with key notions during a cyclical process.
- Converging map.Is beneficial when there is a need to define the causes of a single action.
- Radial map.It helps to work with sub-topics related to a word or an idea.
- Comparison map.It is a structural component of writing that may be used to compare two and more notions. Moreover, this type includes a section that emphasizes common features.
- Linear map.It organizes writing with the help of lines and gives a clear identification of the main stages of writing, namely, a beginning and an end.
- Hierarchical map.It is used to sort out information and represent it in an ascending or descending manner.
- Interactive map.It unites and interlinks common aspects.
Methods of Work with Mind Mapping
It is possible to create different mind maps by hand or using technology. Computer applications proved to be helpful for achieving various purposes. The choice between these methods is based on a number of factors that should be considered. These factors involve, for instance, the peculiarities of data or the need to find connections between ideas. These methods can also help to answer the question "how to focus on writing a paper".
1. Hand-Created Mind Maps
When a brain focuses on information, it is beneficial to expand the process of thinking and comprehending new ideas with hand-drawn structures. This approach is also one of the ways to find inspiration.
It is easy to create a mind map. Follow the steps described below.
- Take a piece of paper, turn it on a side and begin writing in the middle.
- The main idea should be presented here and may be arranged as a drawn picture or an image.
- Highlight ideas and subtopics with different colors depending on their importance and the need to pay attention to them.
- Introduce branches that can be connected to the central image. It should be noted that branches help to classify information and may have a few levels if the topic is complex.
- It may be better to draw the branches curved.
- Each line should have a keyword.
- Differentiate them with colors and pictures.
Such hand-drawn maps have numerous advantages, such as:
- Flexibility.Mind maps may be used to organize information differently and expand it.
- Personality.A writer can draw a mind map according to personal preferences and add desirable elements to it. Each mind map is different.
There are also some disadvantages:
- Time.Drawing a mind map takes time.
- Set Form. Modifications may be difficult to make.
2. Mind Maps Created on a Computer
Technological advances make the creation of a mind map easy. There is a variety of applications designed to generate a map with a few clicks of a button.
The most popular applications are Mindjet Mind Manager, Novamind, Open Mind, and others. They have a trial period that helps to determine features that can suit best and may be used for completing the essay writing process.
- Editing.It is easy to edit information.
- Unlimited space.Maps of different sizes can be generated on a computer.
- Multi-dimensional.Data may be illustrated from various perspectives.
- Ease of use and saved time.
- Impersonal.Mind maps can be created based on the proposed forms and do not have all the options of a hand-drawn map.
3. 3D Mind Mapping
3D technology is another advanced method of organizing information. This option is available for downloading.
Advantages of 3D maps:
- Allow working with data with the help of a graphical map that may be used to manage information on a number of levels.
- Can help find connections between ideas and analyze them in a creative way.
- Help to concentrate on both separate elements and the whole picture. There are also more ways to manage data.
- Inspire the flow of ideas and promote the likely conclusions based on the analysis of information from different points of view.
- Help to evaluate data and find strong and weak points of a presentation.
- Make the writing process more exiting.
Thus, there are many approaches to write an essay and analyze information. You can choose any option and enjoy writing. Try mind mapping and discover new sides of the process. A proper organization of data makes the difference and stimulates to do more.